Monday, October 25, 2010

Marilyn Monroe Exhibit and Hilarious Pumpkins

Good Morning everyone!

This weekend was amazing! Filled with friends, cooking and excited Pittsburgh inspired adventures for every Yinzer to enjoy! (If you are reading this and are not actually from Pittsburgh .. a "Yinzer" is a name for someone who personifies every ridiculous Pittsburgh stereotype.. this might include:)

- Have a Pittsburgh Steelers inspired Christmas Tree
- Sitting in the same chair for every steelers game with the same beer soaked terrible towel because one time 20 years ago when you sat in that chair with that towel.. the Steelers had a miraculous victory
- Using words like "yinz= you guys" or "dahn-tahn = downtown"
- Perhaps calling people F'ing Jagg offs

All characteristics of the Yinzer.. but I digress this weekend I got to see the classier side of Pittsburgh by going down to the North Shore with some good friends to the Andy Warhol museum. My friends and I stopped at Atrias on the way and sat down to a nice dinner where we shared a bottle of wine and dinner. I had a delicious Hawaiian chicken dish with island rice, grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. Although the portions were huge and I was sad that I couldn't take leftovers because I didn't want to carry them around all night. After we were done we all laughing and sharing funny stories we headed to the museum!

Usually I am not a fan of Andy Warhol but this exhibit was special because it was inspired by Marilyn Monroe! We walked in to a big party filled with artsy types and families..and even tables of popcorn and candy since Andy inspired "pop art"..



It was really fun to walk around all the levels and see all the art that she had inspired. While some of it was rather risque it was nice to see a woman glorified who wasn't a size 2. Marilyn Monroe was considered one of the most beautiful people in all history and she was a size10-12. Remember that ladies next time you re down on yourself for having to buy a size 8. I know its hard to realize sometimes and I struggle with it all the time too .. but its about health and strength .. not about jean size.. Marilyn is proof!


Me attempting to be as cute as Marilyn : ) Did I succeed?
There was even an opportunity to do some silk screens..
I chose James Dean

The next day was our long awaited Harvest Fest for my friends and I. It was a day to watch Halloween movies, eat good homemade food and carve pumpkins!

We sat down to eat some delicious home made food. There was a delicious chicken Marsala, salad full of greens and veggies, pumpkin bread and acorn squash.


I was the one responsible for the pumpkin bread and pie
 We even managed to have some pumpkin inspired drinks with apple cider and pumpkin beer :  )
We ate dinner and watched Hocus Pocus and the Charlie Brown Halloween special. Both absolute Halloween classics and then we got to carving up our pumpkin ideas!



Mine is quite the doozy because I decided to carve Big Ben walking into a women's bathroom at a club. If you have heard about his recent indiscretions in the newspapers then you understand that there is nothing that  could be scarier!

As an after carving treat I took the seeds and baked them so we could have some roasted pumpkin seeds for afterwards. I was shocked to find out that my friends had never had them before! I guess maybe it was only something my family did? Maybe it meant less clean up haha Never made them before? Here's how!

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- rinse off pumpkin seeds and remove all pulp
- spray baking sheet and put down a thin layer of seeds
- sprinkle with a good amount of salt, pepper and garlic salt
- baked for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and enjoy!

So what Halloween traditions do you guys have? Do you have any special recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment