Saturday, February 1, 2014

My 1st Experience with Acupuncture! Healing Hands Clinic

Hello all!

I am so pumped to write this blog post because recently, I got the opportunity to try something I have never, ever encountered before. I recently was provided the opportunity to try a new avenue in the health and wellness community...Acupuncture!

Andrea Maria Perullo de Ledesma, L.Ac., M.S. is probably one of the most impressive women I have ever met in my life. Not only does she speak several different languages but she has more than 5 years of education in medicine, Asian studies and experience in South Africa and China treating auto-immune disorders and HIV/Aids with Acupuncture. She has been running her own Acupuncture clinic for 6 years in Charlotte and offered to teach me more about it.

Andi talked to me about the real history surrounding Acupuncture including history about it's basis in Chinese history. Here are some of the things that I learned:
  • Each organ is associated with an emotion and a color
  • Your energy is supposed to flow downward through your body
  • Your spirit is called your "shen"
  • There are 12 meridians in the body that are associated with different organs
  • The tongue and the pulse can tell an Acupuncturist a lot about your health!
  • There are 3 pulse points in both wrists that correspond to different organs
Ok, so here was my experience. Andi sat down with me and talked about my medical history and the issues I was having that could be helped through Acupuncture. I discussed with her that I had A LOT of stress in the past month and that I have asthma.

She felt my pulse in both wrists and told me that my pulse is strong but "wirey" which made sense because that corresponds with stress. Also, she said that I have a "rebellious Qi" which means that your energy is running in the wrong direction.

The 3 pulse points correspond like this:
 

She also took a look at my tongue and told me 3 things:
1. I have a scalloped tongue which means that I have digestive issues
2. I have a strong crack in my tongue that indicates I could have problems with acid reflux
3. I have a coated tongue which also could show digestive issues or food sensitivities
 
So, because of what we discovered that because of my stress and asthma it corresponds to the liver and lungs. The liver is affiliated with the color green and gets thrown off by stress and anger. The lungs are affiliated with the color white and is associated with grief.
 
Once we talked about all of these things, I laid on the table and Andi placed the needles. The most awesome part was that I didn't even feel the needles going in! What I did feel was a slight tingling sensation through my extremities. Probably the weirdest part was that there was a needle that was put right at the top of my head!
 

 
 
She explained to me that I would need to lay and relax, meditating or sleeping for about 45 minutes. The time went so fast and I felt myself falling into a really deep relaxed state. I was aware and conscious but was so relaxed, I didn't want to move.
 






 
 
She removed the needles very quickly after the 45 minutes and put a delicious smelling oil on my head. As I slowly got up, I realized that I had a bit of queasiness in my stomach but besides that I felt so Zen and relaxed.
 
Aside from stress and asthma, I talked to Andi about the other things she treats with Acupuncture and she said that she works with a lot of women with fertility issues and has helped over 50 women get pregnant. She can also help with sports injuries, chronic pain and a slew of other things.
 
I highly recommend Acupuncture to others and especially Healing Hands Clinic with Andi. She was awesome, explained everything to me and made sure I had an excellent experience.
 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such a positive review! I'm really touched!!! I'm delighted that you enjoyed your treatment. I thoroughly enjoyed finally meeting you. I hope you have the most amazing wedding ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi! It was wonderful meeting you too!

      Delete