Monday, February 21, 2011

Is it okay to take a break from exercise?

Good morning folks,

This morning is a rainy, dreary and cold presidents day in da burgh. I am trying not to let the rainy cold weather get me down because I had a fabulous sunny and warm weekend. I went down to Charlotte to spend the weekend with my other half, apartment hunt and interview for a job. Everyone keep your fingers crossed on all those aspects.

Last week was stressful, I was traveling all over, going to work and class at the same time and I have to admit that I just didnt feel much like exercising. I had zero time to get groceries so I was grabbing everything on the run which usually doesnt lead to the best choices for eating. Now, a week later, ta-da! I can feel a cold coming on..

While I don't feel stressed out mentally, I know that my body is saying otherwise. I was feeling run down which is why I took the week off from exercising last week. Its strange though, the feelings of guilt that come with taking a week off. Any avid exerciser or person trying to lose weight, gets this sense of feeling guilty when they dont exercise. You know you should because, hey I have that 30 minutes in between work and class.. and I could fit in three miles.. but does that mean you should? If its a week thats already very taxing on your body, should you push it even further? Where does it cross the line between helping your energy during the day and zapping it?

Well I realized that while it was a good idea to let my body rest, I left out an integral part of the process. Even if you arent exercising, you should eat right..and I wasnt doing that everyday. I think its even more important to eat correctly when youre not exercising to keep you energy up naturally and keep your body in top shape to fight the illness. A lesson that I am hoping not to learn the hard way.

Also, I can tell that all this stress and shortened workouts from a busy schedule are making me hold onto weight which I am not happy about. I know I can be a wonderwoman and do it all and I want to.. bc work, class, my relationship, exercise, job hunting ,etc are all things that deserve my full attention and I will do my best to do it.I mean life would be pretty boring without a full plate right?

So I am filling myself with tea, vitamin C, water and soup and I am hitting the gym hard today in an attempt to sweat everything out! Hopefully, I wake up tomorrow and feel like a hundred bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment