Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry for the elongated blogging hiatus. I had a bit more tragedy occur in my life in this past week. Following the passing of my grandmother I got a phone call that one of my good friends had passed away. His name was Jeff Mudryk and it was such a horrible blow to hear about his passing. He would make you belly laugh every time you saw him no matter what. He was the person you wanted to talk to if you were having a rough day or needed to just get crazy and have some fun. He will be missed by so many.. and he was entirely to young to be taken. It was very sad and I had to take some time to deal with this.



This is Jeff on our random trip to get White Castle Burgers in Cleveland after work.
 So my friends and I got together this weekend to get through everything and my boyfriend also changed some things around in his schedule to come up to Pittsburgh. I am a very lucky person to be so loved and supported.

To thank him for coming up and staying with me (keep in mind this is a 7 hour drive for him to come hold my hand while I cry for 2 days) I decided to make him one of his favorite fall desserts: Sweet Potato Pie.

I have been toying around with this recipe for a little bit and its so delicious and super easy to make.

Heres what you will need:
Pie Crust
2 lbs of sweet potatos
1/3  cup butter (melted)
evaporated milk
1/2 cup unprocessed Cane Sugar
eggs
Vanilla Extract
Nutmeg and Cinnamon

Directions:
Cut lines/ strips into the uncooked sweet potatoes and place them in boiling water for 30 minutes or until they are mashable. The lines will ensure that the skins on the sweet potatoes fall right off after they are boiled.. it saves you pealing time.

Mix 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 2 eggs, butter, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp vanilla extract together. Mash your sweet potatoes and blend in with the other ingrediants using a hand mixer until smooth. Add cinnimon and nutmeg to taste and pour into your pie crust. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 until firm.

This pie is light and the best part is that the sweetness comes from the natural sugars in the sweet potatoes and so you could even cut down the sugar in this recipe.

Half of the pie was gone before he even left to go back to NC, so I am guessing that thats a pretty good sign that this pie is worth making.

Give it a try! Its a great fall recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment